Friday, November 7, 2008

Internship Update

This semester I am doing an internship at the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Vermont for academic credit. I am really enjoying this internship and am really glad that I decided to do it.

I go to the office every Friday; I work on projects with all of the staff members, but most especially, Kim, the Director of Development and Louis, the Director of Program Services. They are both great people and have lots of good projects for me to work on. I have been working especially hard lately on grant writing. Being an English major, I really love to use my writing skills in ways other than writing academic papers. Kim has given me a lot of freedom in this process, so I spend a lot of my time researching grants to apply for and writing letters of interest, applications and other methods of presenting a lot of the same information to various charitable foundations. So far I have asked for almost $20,000 in grants! Even thought I am not counting on receiving any of these, it is awesome to imagine how great it would be for the foundation if we were to receive them!

Doing an internship is something that I've always been interested in, and this internship isn't letting me down. It is great to make connections with professionals in the local community; plus, Kim and Louis are a wealth of great information and advice. They are always looking out for me and giving me pointers, whether it is on my internship with Make-A-Wish, my internship search for next semester or my future...they have been great influences for me this year!

No comments: