Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dominican Republic Update!

I am going on a service trip through MOVE to the Dominican Republic over Spring Break (March 14-21) and I just got home from a meeting with my group! I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity to travel down to the Caribbean, do a week of amazing service, practice my Spanish and get to know a group of new people. Heidi and Jason from the MOVE office are going to be the adult leaders and myself, Sarah, Jess, Kate, Siobhan, Eric and Bill will be able to spend a week doing great service projects, enjoying the warm Dominican Republic weather and so much more!

We are meeting this semester to do some preliminary planning and fund raising (we each have to pay our own way and we hope to raise as much money as possible to leave for the people that we work with). Right now we are working on a basket raffle to be held at the annual MOVE International Market - we are all getting donations of items (for example, I'm doing a St. Mike's basket and hope to have a variety of SMC goods to raffle off - I'll keep you posted) and then creating themed baskets to raise money. We are also going to go to Spanish Mass together on Monday (one of the Edmundite priests who worked in Latin American and says mass in Spanish a few times a semester) and have a dinner party early in December.

Getting involved with MOVE trips has been one of the best experiences that I've had here at St. Mike's. The people are wonderful, the service is fulfilling and it is just an all around great time!
----------------
Now playing: Brett Dennen - Blessed
via FoxyTunes

No comments: