Wednesday, October 22, 2008

so what are you going to do...

...after graduation?

This question tops my most asked question list. Everyone that I talk to feels the need to ask me this - people I've just met, family members, friends from home and here at school and most often, myself. Yes, you read that right. I am constantly asking myself where my life is going and what will happen after May 14th, 2009. Long way off? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I love being an English major, but sometimes it leaves a bit to be desired in terms of clear answers as to where it may take your life. As my professors say, "the possibilities are endless!" but this is exactly what makes it so terrifying - where do I start? And why does EVERYONE insist on following that ever so frequently asked question with "Are you going to teach?" Nope, not planning on teaching.

My inspiration for this post is a package that I got in the mail today - a book I ordered from amazon.com called "I'm an English Major-Now What?" by Tim Lemire. It's actually a really great book - very practical with tons of information about potential career paths. This book made me incredibly excited in a very nerdy, English major-type way because as I flipped through it, I saw the infinite possibilities of my future come into focus a little better. The book gave me some practical advice on approaching work in the magazine industry, discussed freelance writing and talked about higher education. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up experiencing all of those areas of work and more. And maybe I will decide that I do want to teach. I'm keeping an open mind for now, but all of this is weighing on me fairly heavily.

If you were to ask me what my ideal career path would be, I would tell you this: work in college admissions for a few years, maybe do some non profit work (my internship at Make-A-Wish this semester has gotten me interested in this!) get married and start a family while maybe working on my masters degree in something having to do with communications/health or counseling and then go on to a career in magazine work or high school guidance counseling. Will this happen? We'll see. But one thing that I can guarantee you is that all of my experiences here at St. Mike's are going to benefit me more than I can know right now - the people I've met, the courses I've taken, the internships I've had and the traveling and growing that I've done over these four years will all come into play throughout the rest of my life.

Want to know something else that I can guarantee you? I will be asked "so, what are you going to do after graduation?" at least six times tomorrow. Seriously.
----------------

No comments: