Friday, March 25, 2011

Taking a minute...

"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without" - Buddha

The past few months have been absolutely crazy. My colleagues and I have worked tirelessly to keep up with our amazing 33% increase in applications to SMC, give enough time to each application to evaluate it fairly and stay on our timeline for getting decision letters out. We mailed out our final batch of acceptance letters on March 17th, but there's not much time to breathe - we've got accepted students to welcome to campus so that they can make their important decision, spring travel to execute and events on campus to close out the academic year.

Yesterday was especially stressful for me - I felt like I was going in 100 different directions all day long, including my first travel visit of the spring over in Plattsburgh, NY, working at Jazzercise, choir practice and a late-night (because of the time differences in our respective parts of the world) Skype date with my two camp friends Amy and Emily. However, during my time on Skype I was just overwhelmed with this peaceful feeling of how lucky I am.

How lucky I am to have people at home and around the world who thought about me on the 24th birthday on Wednesday, how lucky I am to have friends (especially Kristin, Amy and Emily) who all bring me incredible feelings of love and peace, how lucky I am to have a wonderful, rewarding job, how lucky I am to have a supportive family.

The busy, stressful aspects of the day were forgotten and I was overcome with gratitude.

I hope that you will have a similar feeling during this last weekend in March, and that you will do something to bring yourself peace.

No comments: