Saturday, September 19, 2009

Memory Dinner

Tonight I attended a potluck "memory dinner" at my fellow VISTA's house in Middlebury - it was great! Everyone was asked to bring a dish that had some sort of story or traveling experience behind it and we had a really great assortment of very worldly dishes.

Kay (the other VISTA in my office) made a Greek orzo dish that she learned to cook while traveling in Europe, one guest brought challah bread, pure Vermont honey and local apples for Rosh Hashanah, another brought a Quinoa dish that she made from a recipe in Spanish that her host mother in Argentina made for her while she was studying there. I also made my own Spring Roll, sampled vegetarian enchiladas, drank Oaxacan hot chocolate and ate spinach salad with goat cheese, mandarin oranges, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds. Yum!

I brought banana boats, which is a dessert that I learned about at camp this summer - at the end of each session we would make these treats for the campers (and the counselors always managed to eat all of the extras...right Jess?); they consist of a banana slit down the middle and stuffed with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows and then toasted over the campfire. They are delicious and everyone loved them, both at camp and at the memory dinner.

This was such a fun way to get to meet other young people around Middlebury - I expect that we'll do it again!!

No comments: