Thursday, September 24, 2009

Me, running.

If you know me at all, you are probably laughing right now. Carrie and running don't typically go in the same sentence. I vowed after my last timed mile during sophomore year of high school that I would never run another step because I hated it so much - I was slow, it was boring and I just plain didn't like it at all.

Fast forward to the year after I graduated from college: I agreed to run a leg of the Vermont City Marathon this spring. Crazy? Yes.

If you've been following my blog for the past few years, you know that I am an avid Jazzerciser - sounds corny (as Megan Hickey yelled out at camp this summer "Does your towel seriously say Jazzercise??"), but is an incredible workout that keeps me motivated and appeals to my love of dance and my love of working up a sweat. Sad news, there's no Jazzercise anywhere close to Middlebury. :-(

So, I've been trying out a few things - I've discovered three incredible yoga class at the college that I can take for free and have also tried an "aerobic dance" class through the recreation department (dancing to show tunes with a bunch of past-middle-aged women just wasn't for me...). I can't afford a membership to the local gym with my AmeriCorps living stiped, and a group of VISTAs are going to enter the lottery for a relay team in the marathon. Well, all signs point to yes, so here I go.

I found a bunch of podcasts that are supposed to have me running a 5K in 9 weeks - I think I might do it at half the pace so that hopefully by the middle of February I might be able to run a 5K. We'll see.

The last thing I set my mind to like this was becoming a vegetarian and I'm happy to report that is still going well (I can't believe it's been since January!). I think I can do this...I'll keep you posted.

No comments: