Sunday, October 5, 2008

Homecoming

This weekend I headed home because it was Homecoming weekend at my high school - I graduated from Essex High School in Essex Junction, Vermont, which is the largest high school in the state of Vermont with about 1600 students. I didn't like going to a large high school, but it definitely gave me a ton of opportunities to pursue a variety of extracurricular activities, take AP courses and experience a competitive academic environment. I wasn't much of an athlete in high school (the only sport that I participated in was one season of cheerleading which I quickly learned wasn't for me...), but I did go to the occasional football or soccer game, so I was excited to return to the old stomping ground this weekend.

My family and I started by going to an afternoon soccer game - my cousin is a sophomore at Champlain Valley Union High School in Hinesburg, VT (a HUGE rival of EHS - my sister and I still get picked on by extended family for being EHS alumni!) and CVU happened to be Essex's opponent. I had a hard time deciding who to cheer for! My cousin played a good game and even though Essex won, it was great to see her out on the soccer field.

After going home and warming up (it is definitely feeling like fall here!), we headed back for the football game. I really don't like football, but I love watching the cheerleaders and the half time show, complete with the homecoming court and class competitions. Because my younger sister just graduated from EHS last year I still know quite a few people at the school so it was good to see them!

Going back to my high school has been pretty common for me since coming to SMC - it's only a few minutes away from campus and because my sister played basketball every year since I've been here, I've made my way back for lots of her games, a few school plays and homecoming events. Now that my sister is here with me at SMC, these trips will probably start to fade away - it's so weird to think about a place that was such a huge part of my life for four years fades away just like most everything else...if you are a senior in high school be sure to enjoy every minute of your last year in high school!

----------------
Now playing: Coldplay - Viva la Vida
via FoxyTunes

No comments: