Sunday, September 6, 2009

Jumping Right In!

I have really gotten right into the swing of my new job! I have always found that jumping into something and learning as you go is more beneficial for me, and I am glad that my supervisors at Middlebury feel the same way.

Most of my time has been spent working on plans for the annual MiddAction fair, which is an opportunity for students, faculty and staff to learn more about ways that they can get involved in their community through volunteering, community service, activism and service learning in a variety of different areas. I have invited over 200 community partners and student organizations and so far have almost 40 confirmed attendees. I have gotten great responses from these organizations and groups, all of whom see the potential for attracting some great new volunteers for their very worthy projects.

I have also spent a good amount of time working with a student service leader, Mikaela, on a student organization that I will be advising. The organization is called Volunteer Services Organization (VSO) and the main goal to is attract new students to volunteer work through a variety of different one-time service opportunities. So far, Mikaela and I have planned a Saturday morning trail clearing as well as a large participation in the United Way Days of Caring, which will be held on September 26th. I am looking forward to engaging in some direct service with students during these worksites!

I have updated the Alliance for Civic Engagement's website to include the things that I have been working on. Check it out at www.middlebury.edu/ace.

It's really interesting to be on a college campus that isn't Saint Mike's, especially at this time in my life. I am really enjoying learning a different way of doing things, and I like seeing things from a fresh perspective. Midd students are incredibly dedicated, passionate and very smart, and I am looking forward to working with such a talented group of students!

No comments: