Thursday, February 19, 2009

I've Gone Veg...

Yep, I've become a vegetarian. Now that I've made the official announcement, I should let you know that I haven't been completely faithful, partially because my family and roommates don't follow this diet and partially because I want to ease into it to make sure that I am getting enough protein for my pretty active lifestyle, but for the most part, I have been pretty close to meat free for quite a while.

Despite the fact that I don't eat in the dining hall all the time this year (I have a kitchen in my townhouse and cook for myself almost all the time), I still have 40 meals in the dining hall for the semester and am using them well. Alliot (our dining hall) has great vegetarian/vegan choices...they always have one vegetarian entree, sometimes more. And let me tell you, they're very good! Becoming a vegetarian has made me a much more adventurous eater, I've tried tempeh and seitan in Alliot, plus made lots of tofu and new veggie dishes at home. I typically cook rice, veggies and beans or some variation of stir-fry for dinner and enjoy leftovers and salads for lunch. I actually really like cooking for myself...it's the doing the dishes that I hate!

For me, vegetarian makes sense because I don't really like a lot of meat, plus it gets me to try new things!

As always, shoot me a comment or e-mail if you have any questions (about being a vegetarian at SMC or anything else!). I'd love to hear from you!

P.S. Congratulations Allison!!

No comments: